CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cold Weather Camping


 Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share a bit more about our camping trip. We ended up having great weather in what was supposed to be a stormy three day trip. We had a few sprinkles after we got there but we were already set up by that time. The second day was beautiful for out excursions away from camp and my Easter egg hunt. We had some rain in the night and the morning on our pack up day, but wouldn't you know it cleared up just in time for us to dry off the trailer and get it packed away.



Mom ended up doing her long run while we were out there and she said she felt like a VIP athlete with a support vehicle trailing her the whole way. We read her times at each mile, handed her energy thing-a-ma-jigs partway through, and gave her lots of encouragement. Najia got out and ran with her for a mile and I decided that I wanted to run with her too. She was only going to run 9 miles but she decided she'd meet me at mile 9 and I could run half a mile with her. I had so much fun and am such a super athlete that I decided to just keep on going. I ended up running a mile (making mom run 10 miles) before it was time for us to head back to camp. We saw some beautiful waterfalls running along the lake and dad drove through every puddle hole he could find. It was great! We ended our morning eating waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. Yes, I know it doesn't look like we are roughing it (and we aren't when we camp with our trailer) but we get enough of that with our backpacking and biking trips. Did you notice that we had to use the generator to run the waffle maker? I think that's the best use that thing has gotten so far!



We did learn from this trip that we probably need to just pay for an electrical hookup when the months are cold because running the furnace so often drains the little 12 volt battery. We found that we probably spent as much in diesel charging the battery every few hours as we would have just paying for a hookup site. Oh, the lessons you learn as you go through life.

Until next time . . . 

No comments: